Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My First Day of Work

So yesterday was finally my first day of work in Hyderabad! My shift is 2pm-11pm (which is 2:30am-11:30am CDT), now 2pm-2am (2:30am-2:30pm CDT) for busy season. Got there at 1pm and the office was a bit empty. My boss, was there and she showed me where all the necessities were ie. the bathroom, water & caffeinated beverages. My desk is kinda small & I'm the only one on the end, sticking out into the walkway. Everything was supposed to be ready to go, except that I didn't have a phone and there was no power cord for my second computer monitor. Neither of theses items did I receive by the end of the day (2am) even though they were on "priority". Lol, patience will be a virtue developed over the next six weeks. The rest of my group arrived around 2. And it was sooo sweet- they bought me a bouquet of roses. I haven't gotten flowers in forever so it really made me smile. :-) I didn't have much to do for the rest of the day, just some technology stuff. I did meet some other R10 rotators. We're planning a trip to Mumbai in a couple of weeks (yeah- Hard Rock Cafe pin city). So exciting!! I think we're also going to a karaoke club, but we'll see....

Other stories of the day....

Getting my Hyderabad office badge
So you have to have a Deloitte badge visible at all times. They say that back home, but no one is really posted on every floor to check them like they are here. So I was told to meet on the second floor by a particular cube with my paperwork at 4pm (because the badging department doesn't open until 4pm and they close at 8pm). For the time before this, my poor staff had to follow me everywhere so I could get in and out of the various doors on our floor space. I meet at the appointed place, at the appointed time & there are a couple of people gathered there to get their badges also. People keep showing up for the next thirty minutes. Finally at 4:30 the host takes up all our papers and marches us over to the next building. And we wait again for everyone to get their badge (probably about 10-12) people, which takes at least another thirty minutes. The we all marched like ants back to our building. Not too funny, but it was just a pain.

The Cafeteria
So around 9pm I head over to the cafeteria with some of my co-workers. I hadn't eaten since noon so I was starving! You walk into the cafeteria and there's just tons of people. Most of them had brought their lunches in these really cute containers which looked like fat thermoses. There's a display case with all the hot food choices for the day. Nothing is labeled so you just kinda have to guess what it is or already know. Since I'd been feeling bad a couple days prior I decided to hit the sandwich line for a delicious & safe cheese sandwich. But first you have to pay for your meal & get an order ticket. You may think there's a line at the cashier, but there isn't. People just kinda mob around where the line should be, but then people cut in like you never existed. And you have to make eye contact with the actual cashier to get noticed (almost like when you're trying to get a drink at a bar). So I pay for my food, get my ticket and collect my cheese sandwich. It really wasn't all that bad- the cheese wasn't oozing out from between the bread, and the bread was a bit plain, but it was good. Then no one really drinks anything with their meal at dinner, but since there are a bunch of ex-pats they sell drinks in the far corner by the sweet corn vendor. Me in my habits went & bought a cold, refreshing Diet Coke, which cost more than my sandwich. Lol, the price I will pay for some caffeine.

Lots of new things to get used to....

1 comment:

Abby said...

I will likely have a little guitar shaped present for you when I get back in April.... It should be a new one for you, so get excited :)